Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes: Leek and Potato Stew
- 3 leeks, tough green stalks removed
- 4 medium-sized red potatoes, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 2 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound (about 1 1/2 cups) baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- handful parsley or cilantro, chopped (optional)
- handful freshly toasted croutons (optional)
- handful toasted almond slivers (optional)
1. Prepare the ingredients, and toss them together in the slow cooker.
2. Add seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cover the veggies with vegetable broth.
3. Cook for six hours on your slow cooker’s “low” setting or for four hours on the “high” setting. If possible, check on your stew as it cooks to adjust cook time if necessary.
4. Once your stew is finished cooking, taste test for salt, pepper, and seasonings.
5. If you’d like a puréed soup, you can process the soup in a food processor or high-speed blender or with an immersion blender. You can purée half of the stew and leave the rest chunky for a fun twist–or leave the stew chunky to serve over rice or a grain of your choice.
6. Top with fresh herbs, croutons, or toasted nuts. Enjoy!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell