Have you ever made something and then immediately had the impulse to make it again? After just tasting this vegan Butternut Squash Cheese sauce, I promptly reset my kitchen to whip up another batch. Initially, I had set out to make a simple broccoli and cheese recipe - I imagined it as a great side dish for the holiday season or a complete meal served over quinoa. As soon as I tried my new creation, I knew that the Butternut Squash cheese sauce was the real star. Not just a topping for broccoli, this sauce will work perfectly for vegan mac n' cheese, stuffed in a potato, as a base layer for nachos, in a casserole, you name it! (I was even tempted to turn it into a vegan beer cheese soup.) This sauce is thick, rich, and creamy with all the flavor of a dairy cheese sauce. BONUS - It is 100% gluten free, nut free, and soy free. EVEN BIGGER BONUS - It takes only 10 minutes to make! You officially have no excuse to deprive yourself of this deliciousness.
Vegan Sauce Recipes: Life-Changing Butternut Squash Cheese Sauce
Recipe Type: Allergen Free Hearty Entrees
YIELDS about 1.5 cups of sauce
- 2 cups frozen cubed butternut squash
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
1. In a small pot, boil about 2 cups of water.
2. Add frozen cubed butternut squash and add to the water. Cook for 6-7 minutes or until cubes are tender.
3. Drain butternut squash and save about 1/4 cup of the water used for boiling.
4. Combine squash, tahini, water, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and paprika in a high-speed blender.
Vegan TLT Club Sandwich
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Christina Ramirez