Back when I was a vegetarian, creamy pasta dishes were one of my favorite indulgences. After a few failed attempts, I stumbled upon a delicious vegan alternative! There are many cashew-based creamy sauces, but this rosemary and oregano-flavored version with sundried tomatoes will knock your socks off. This vegan version also offers hefty nutritional benefits with protein, vitamin B12, zinc and copper. Enjoy!
Vegan Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 cup Cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup Water from soaked Cashews
- 1/2 cup Sundried Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2-4 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Lemon Lemon juice
- 1 teapspoon Nutritional Yeast
- Half of 1 sprig Dried Rosemary
- 1 pinch Oregano
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 1 pinch Paprika
- 4 ounces Pasta
1. Start by soaking your cashews for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Bring salted water to a boil and start cooking the pasta of your choice (pictured is linguine).
3. Add cashews along with their soaking water to a blender, then add sundried tomatoes and vegetable broth. I prefer to use the sundried tomatoes that come in olive oil, however dried are perfectly fine.
4. Add in nutritional yeast, garlic cloves, and spices and finish by squeezing in the juice of 1/4 lemon.
5. Blend until desired thickness is reached, adding water or broth if sauce is too chunky at first.
6. Drain pasta and dress with sauce.
Tip: Goes great with sauteed mushrooms and zucchini!
More vegan sauce recipes: Life-Changing Butternut Squash Sauce
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Francesca Polito