When I first went vegan, I found myself eating at Sweetgreen more than I was eating at home. If you haven’t tried Sweetgreen yet, it’s a great salad spot with fresh seasonal ingredients that you can mix and match to make the salad of your dreams. I jokingly (but seriously) tell my friends and family that it’s “so much more than a salad.”
A few years ago, they had a seasonal “Detox” salad on the menu that I had on repeat. It had a shredded kale and pea shoot base, topped with fresh pear, walnut, avocado, red onion, spicy broccoli, and a lemon dressing. Lately, I’ve been craving it and decided to recreate it at home.
I used many of the same ingredients, with the addition of white quinoa to make it even heartier. The intense red onion pairs perfectly with creamy avocado, sweet pear, crunchy walnuts, and Sriracha baked broccoli. I topped mine with an Oil-Free Lemon Tahini Dressing to tie it all together. Feel free to sub apples instead of pears or swap out the veggies.
I hope that you love this salad combination and that it will save you a trip to your favorite salad spot! I love prepping all of the ingredients in advance and then throwing them together in bowls so I can treat myself to a little Sweetgreen every day.
- 6 handfuls kale
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 diced pear
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 1 sliced avocado
- handful pea shoots
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- to taste Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss broccoli with avocado oil, and bake for 20-35 minutes, until well browned. Remove from the oven and toss with Sriracha to desired spiciness.
3. To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, tahini, water, maple syrup, sea salt, and black pepper.
4. To assemble the salad, place all ingredients in a bowl and drizzle with lemon tahini dressing.
Also by Lauren: Sweet Potato Noodles with Spicy Almond Butter Sauce
Related: Copycat Panera Superfood Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier