Make breakfast fun this weekend with some DIY Vegan Strawberry Pop-Tarts! With just a little bit of prep, you can prepare these deliciously sweet and fruity breakfast pastries that upgrade the classic cereal aisle favorite. The fresh strawberry puree brings a ton of flavor with the soft yet flaky, made-from-scratch pastry shell. Don’t forget a few sprinkles!
(Note: the prep time includes time for chilling.)
Vegan DIY Strawberry Pop Tarts
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Organic Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 7-8 tablespoons Cold Water
- For the Filling:
- 2 cups Chopped Strawberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/3 cup-1/2 cup (you can modify) Sugar
- For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Milk
- Leftover Strawberry Puree
1. To make the vegan pastry crust, combine the flour, salt and shortening using a fork or a food processor until it comes together in a crumbly mixture.
2. Slowly add the cold water, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, and mix or process until a dough forms.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. To make the strawberry filling, place the 2 cups of chopped strawberries in a high powered blender or food processor and puree.
5. Pour the puree into a small saucepan on medium heat and add in the sugar, juice of 1 lemon and cornstarch.
6. Regularly stir the puree over medium heat until it begins to thicken (approximately 15 minutes). Remove the saucepan from the heat once it reaches a consistency where it doesn’t quickly drip off a spoon. Allow to cool completely.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
8. Roll out the vegan pastry crust into a rectangle shape.
9. Using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife, trim the edges straight on all four sides and cut the pastry crust in half horizontally and then cut each half into 4 equal sections so that you have a total of 8 sections of pastry.
10. Scoop approximately 2 tablespoons of cooled puree onto 4 of the pastry sections, leaving a small border of pastry dough around the whole section (don’t throw away the last little bits of puree left- you’ll use it later!).
11. Carefully place the other 4 sections of pastry dough on top of the sections with the strawberry puree and press the edges together using the back of a fork.
12. Grease a baking tray and place the uncooked pop tarts on the tray.
13. Gently poke a few holes into each tart with a fork to allow steam to escape as they bake.
14. Bake for approximately 17 minutes or until the pastry is light golden in color around the edges.
15. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
16. Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, coconut milk and the last bit of the strawberry puree to add a hint of pink color.
17. Spread the glaze over the cooled pop tarts and if you wish, add sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, flaked coconut or other toppings to the glaze.
Also by Colette: Make-Ahead Vegan Carrot Cake Bread Pudding
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Colette Goguen