Vegan Mushroom And Ale Pie
- 3 cups Chestnut Mushrooms
- 2 Medium shallots
- 1 cup Dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Vegan pale ale
- 1 cup Boiling water
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Veggie stock cube
- 3 tablespoons Nutrional yeast
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Plain flour
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 1 tablespoon Soya milk
- 1 scroll Puff pastry
1. Preheat your oven to 375 °F.
2. In a bowl, cover the dried porcini mushrooms with boiling water. Leave them for around 10 minutes to rehydrate.
3. Dice the shallots and garlic and cook them on medium heat with olive oil, until soft. Add in diced chestnut mushrooms and the porcini mushrooms and cook until just softened.
4. Stir in the nutritional yeast, bay leaves, brown sugar, mustard and ale. Then crumble up a veggie stock cube and stir everything together.
5. Leave to simmer for five minutes and then slowly sprinkle in some flour and stir, until a thicker consistency is achieved.
6. Dust a workspace with flour and roll out the pastry. Cut the pastry so that it’s large enough for your pie tin. Decorate the pie in whichever way you’d like and brush some soya milk on top so that the pie can crisp up.
7. Cook the pie in the oven for around 20 minutes, until golden brown. Plate up with your chosen accompaniments and enjoy!
Also by Hannah: Vegan English Tofish & Chips with Mushy Peas
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Hannah Roberts