Strawberries and chocolate are a classic combination, so it was only natural to make a sauce for these. Topped with the cocoa, this makes a sweet and decadent dessert. One tip that I have is to make sure that the wrappers are sealed tightly around the edges so the fruit doesn’t ooze out while they are baking, although I don’t mind this part because it is delicious when it gets crispy. This recipe may seem to have many steps, but these are very simple to put together.
Easy Vegan Mixed Berry Turnovers
- For the wrappers:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup warm water
- pinch of salt
- small bowl of water
- powdered sugar, for dusting when done
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced small
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 4 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- For the chocolate sauce:
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1. Begin by making the wonton wrappers. Add flour, water, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Mix well with a rubber spatula and knead with your hands for a couple minutes.
2. Form a ball with the dough and cover it with a damp washcloth. Let it rest for about 30 minutes.
3. While this is resting, you can prepare your filling. In a large bowl, add blueberries. Use a potato masher to mash them down a few times.
4. Add the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Using about 1/4 of the wonton dough at a time, roll it out as thin as possible. Use a pizza cutter to cut out square pieces, all the same size.
7. Dip your fingers into a small bowl of water and rub over the wonton wrappers, making them flexible, but not wet.
8. Add about 1/2 tbsp of the fruit filling to each wonton. Fold the wonton in half in a triangle shape and press down the edges with a fork to seal them.
9. Place wontons onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until they turn golden brown.
10. While the wontons are baking, make the chocolate sauce. In a small sauce pan, add the almond milk, coconut oil, and honey. Stir over low heat until melted together.
11. Bring to a simmer for a minute or two and whisk in the cocoa. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
12. Remove wontons from oven and lightly dust with powdered sugar. Top with chocolate sauce and serve.
Also by Lauren: Cheezy Vegan Tomato Pie
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote