Mint chocolate chip is a classic flavor combination, so I used the mint to add a little flair to some traditional chocolate chip cookies. By gently simmering the mint in some vegan butter, you can release the flavors of the mint, rather than using a store bought extract. I have experimented with many different egg replacements in baking, and I have found Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer to yield the best result in cookies. Flax and chia are a bit too seedy for my liking, and yogurt or applesauce seem to be too dense. Feel free to experiment with whatever egg replacement you have on hand or prefer.
Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick or 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp egg replacer
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the mint and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring here and there. Remove from heat and let it sit covered for about 20 minutes, to let the flavors infuse.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water and set aside.
3. Strain the butter into a large mixing bowl. Add both of the sugars and whisk well to combine.
4. Whisk in the egg replacer and vanilla extract.
5. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Shape the dough into a ball and cover the bowl in plastic wrap. Let the dough chill in the fridge for about an hour before you make the cookies.
8. Remove cookie dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cookie trays with parchment paper. I recommend light cookie sheets as dark tends to burn.
9. Break the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll into balls. Drop 6 balls on each cookie sheet with space between each for them to spread.
10. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Let them cool for a few minutes while still on the baking pan before moving to a cooling rack.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote