Vegan “Le Madeleine” Dupe: Fruit Tart With Custard
- 1.5 cups All purpose flour
- 1.5 sticks Vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 2 cups Oat milk
- 2/3 cup Coconut cream
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 lb Strawberries
- 6 oz Blueberries
- 1 cup Fruit jam or jelly
- 2 Tbs Water
For the tart crust:
Combine flour, butter and powdered sugar into a crumbly mixture. Manually press down into a pie tray. Blind bake for ten minutes at 350°F. It should be golden brown.
For the custard filling:
1. Combine oat milk, coconut cream, cornstarch, sugar, turmeric and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until thick. It happens abruptly, so beware! If it becomes too hot and thick, it will alter the the custard consistency.
2. Once custard is thickened, pour immediately into pie crust and let it rest at room temperature until cool.
3. Meanwhile, wash fruit and thinly slice strawberries.
4. Once custard is cool, arrange fruit atop. Be creative and have fun with it, if you like!
5. And finally, prepare your fruit glaze:
Combine jelly/jam in a small saucepan with water over medium high heat until mixture is liquified. In my experience, it only took about 2 minutes. Use a brush to paint the fruit/water liquid over the berries.
6. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Also by R. Coker: Atlas Monroe’s Vegan Jerk Chicken
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: R. Coker