Vegan Krabby Patty Burger
- 6 burger buns
- A handful of walnuts (soaked and chopped)
- DIY pickles (with cucumber and red onion):
- A handful of cucumber (slices)
- 1/4 red onion (chopped)
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Sprinkle of chili flakes
- 1x bay leaf
- fresh juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 block of firm tofu (crumbled)
- 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ onion (diced)
- 2x garlic cloves (minced)
- ½ can of black beans (mashed)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 vegan cheese (slices)
- lettuce (washed and patted dry)
- tomato (slices)
- Your version of “secret sauce formula” (I just used vegan mayo)
1. Soak your walnuts covered with hot water and set aside for later.
2. While waiting, prepare your pickles – I did a cucumber and red onion version. You can simply use store bought ones or try this recipe: on a small pot, bring everything in a slow simmer (cucumber slices, chopped red onion, rice vinegar, raw cane sugar, salt and black pepper, chili flakes, a bay leaf and lime juice) until the sugar has dissolved for about 5 minutes and set aside.
3. Back to your soaked walnuts, rinse its water and roughly chop them and add into a large mixing bowl.
4. Prepare your vegan eggs: combine your flax seeds and water and set aside.
5. Add the remaining of your ingredients together with the chopped walnuts (crumbled tofu, soy sauce, diced onion, minced garlic cloves, mashed black beans, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to taste and paprika powder).
6. Add your wet flax seeds into the mixture and combine well.
7. Using 1/2 cup as your measuring cup to shape your patties. Flatten them and place them on a baking paper inside your air fryer basket.
8. Brush some oil before air frying at 180c-200c for about 5 minutes until golden on both sides.
9. Add a slice of vegan cheese on top of each patty and air fry for another 2-3 minutes until melted.
10. Now it’s time to assemble your very own Krabby patty. Start toasting your burger buns and construct it in any way you like. I topped mine with some lettuce, tomato slices, pickled onion and cucumber, and vegan mayo.
*Try this: add some seaweed flakes if you want to imagine having that sea flavor under the sea with Spongebob!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino