- 3/4 cup pesto (I used the 5-minute vegan kale pesto recipe below)
- 3–4 portobello mushroom caps
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can red peppers
- 1/8 cup red pepper oil from jar
- 1 can jackfruit (20 oz)
1. Prepare the jackfruit. Strain jackfruit and pour into a pan with oil and ½ tsp salt. Cook on medium for approximately 10–15 minutes, until tender. While your jackfruit is cooking, take two forks and shred the jackfruit until it resembles the consistency of shredded chicken.
2. Once jackfruit is shredded, add ¾ cup pesto (DIY recipe here) and ⅛ cup red pepper jar oil, stirring occasionally on medium-low for 5–10 minutes until the jackfruit absorbs the pesto.
3. While the jackfruit is cooking, prepare the portobello mushrooms. Wash your portobello mushroom caps, removing the stem and gently removing any residual dirt with a damp paper towel.
4. In a frying pan, heat up oil and, once warm, add 4 tsp of balsamic vinegar.
5. Place portobello mushroom caps gill-side down, cooking on medium low for 3–5 minutes.
6. Flip the portobello and spoon equal amounts of the pesto jackfruit into each portobello cap. Sliver roasted red peppers and place on top.
7. Cover pan with lid and let the stuffed mushrooms steam for 3–5 minutes. Portobello should be tender when poked with a fork.
Remove and enjoy!
Also by Dana: Vegan Charcuterie
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Dana Drosdick