Only a few dishes are to me as comforting as tofu scramble. It’s both hearty and filling, without being unhealthy. As a matter of fact, it’s super high in protein (tofu and miso!!) and comes with antioxidants (turmeric) and an immune boost (ginger). I love to customize it for the holidays by adding cranberries and chestnuts. It’s wonderful served with fresh sourdough bread or baguette, or just with a side of seasonal veggies and mushrooms.
Vegan Holiday Tofu Scramble
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 purple onion (or 3 shallots)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- fresh cilantro
- cranberries (optional)
- chestnuts (optional)
1. Take out the tofu block and drain it as much as possible with paper towel. Chop or crumble into pieces.
2. Chop up the onion or shallots and with a pinch of salt, start frying it in your skillet with your choice of cooking oil or vegetable broth.
3. In a small bowl, mix miso paste with water until liquid but still thick.
4. When the onion starts getting translucent, add tofu and fry for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly brown
5. Pour miso sauce, ginger, turmeric and coconut aminos on top and mix well.
6. Let simmer for 5 more minutes until soft and fragrant.
7. Top with fresh chopped cilantro (or holiday toppings like cranberries and chestnuts) and enjoy!
Related: Loaded Gluten-Free Vegan Hashbrowns
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Isabelle Steichen