This recipe is so simple & delicious! With only 10 ingredients (minus water/veggie stock), you’ll have a super satisfying dish for your entire family or lots of friends! This Vegan, Gluten-free Lentil & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie is packed with nutritionally rich red onion, garlic, mushrooms, and other yummy veggies. It makes a great main meal or hearty side!
Vegan, Gluten-free Lentil & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced lengthwise into quarters
- 4-5 tomatoes, diced
- 10 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoond Italian seasoning
- salt + pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, sauté the onion, celery, and carrots for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent.
2. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Sauté for 6-8 minutes until tomatoes are breaking down and the mushrooms begin to soften.
3. Add lentils, water or stock and simmer for 35-40 minutes. (You can also make the filling ahead of time and let simmer for an hour or so).
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. For the potatoes, slice into quarters and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cover for 20-30 minutes (test with a fork to make sure they are tender).
6. Drain and mash. Salt and pepper to taste. If they seem dry, feel free to add a little bit of water at a time and mash again. Repeat until they are your desired consistency.
7. Preheat oven to 425°F.
8. Transfer lentil filling to a large oven-safe dish (I used a 9×13 dish). Top with mashed potatoes.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
10. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with fresh herbs.
Also by Ashley: Oil-Free Oven-Baked Shoestring Fries
Related: Shepherd’s Pie Potato Boats
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Ashley Smaldino