This recipe was originally published on Sustaining.Life, a trusted resource for all things sustainable living.
Chocolate torte is a classic dessert in French cuisine. Here, we have a lovely vegan version (no eggs or butter!) created with the simplest of ingredients. Bon appetit!
(The prep time includes the hour required for chilling the dough.)
Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 6 oz. dark chocolate (75-100%; you can sub up to half of this with cacao or cocoa powder if you’re short on chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (cold, slightly solid)
- 2-6 tablespoons ice water
1. Grind 1/2 of the hazelnuts in a blender until powdered. Add flour, hazelnut powder, and 1/2 of the sugar to a large mixing bowl and incorporate.
2. Add 2 tbsp coconut oil and iced water, adding one tbsp at a time as you mix with a wooden spoon. Dough should form, smooth but a little crumbly. Roll into a ball and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Once cooled, roll out as much as possible before pressing dough into the pie dish. Heat oven to 350°F.
4. Prepare a double boiler by placing a smaller pot inside of a larger one, 1/3 full of water. As the water in the bottom pot boils, the smaller pot will float without touching the bottom of the larger pot. Add chocolate, vanilla, and 1 tbsp coconut oil to the small pot and let melt.
5. When chocolate is 1/2 melted, add remaining sugar and maple syrup, stirring as you go. Remove from heat just before all of the chocolate is melted and stir vigorously until smooth (or as smooth as you can get).
6. Add remaining hazelnuts, roughly chopped, to the melted chocolate and mix thoroughly.
Add chocolate mixture to the crust, even out with a spatula, then top with more chopped hazelnut pieces.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the center of the pie settles and the crust is browned.
Let cool for 20 minutes, then slice and serve with a generous helping of Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss Vanilla Island vegan ice cream–or dairy-free ice cream of your choice! This torte is even better served cold the next day.
Also by Faye: Pear Apple Tart
Related: Gluten-Free Vegan Bundt Cake
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Faye Lessler