I cooked my onions in butter in a cast iron skillet as I find this yields the best results, but you can use a normal pot if that is what you have. This is really easy and quick to make, and it can be made with minimal ingredients. You can easily double the recipe to make for easy food prep throughout the week. When reheating from the fridge, I added about 1–2 tbsp of water before putting it to the stovetop, to keep it from drying out.
Vegan French Onion Mushroom Pasta
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups pasta
1. Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat and melt.
2. Add the onions and sauté for about 15 minutes, until they begin to brown and start to caramelize.
3. Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme and sauté for another ten minutes, until the mushrooms brown and soften.
4. Add the white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix well.
5. Add the flour and stir to coat veggies.
6. Add the vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and reduce to a simmer.
7. Cook until pasta is soft and tender. Remove from heat.
8. Add more salt and pepper if needed and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote