This recipe was adapted during the holidays while cooking for two in a new home, away from our Michigan family.
Wanting to appreciate the holiday feast without all of the prep and dishes just to feed two, we decided on this classic, with a vegan twist and some savory holiday spices. These pasties were a nice reminder of home, and easily adaptable for a variety of palates. In addition to an easy clean-up, these ingredients freeze well, making it easy to accommodate a dinner for two with some leftovers, or a table of guests. Add vegan mushroom gravy for extra decadence!
I use this vegan mushroom gravy recipe.
Here's the background on traditional Upper Peninsula pasty.
Vegan English Pasty (Hand Pie)
- 2 cups + 1/4 cup for filling Vegan butter
- 2 cups Boiling water
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons + 2 teaspoons for filling Salt
- 6 medium, peeled Redskin potatoes
- 2 cups, chopped Mushrooms
- 2 large, chopped in 1/4-inch pieces Carrots
- 1 medium, chopped in 1/4 -inch pieces Onion
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 1/2 cup Peas
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried, ground Sage
- 3/4 teaspoon dried, ground Thyme
- Optional: Aquafaba (chickpea water), for brushing tops
1. In a large bowl, stir butter and boiling water until butter is melted. Gradually add flour and salt until a very soft dough is formed; cover and refrigerate for 1–1/2 hours.
2. Cut potatoes into 1/8- or 1/4-inch cubes; too large and they will not cook properly.
3. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, onion, corn, peas, garlic and seasonings.
4. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. On a floured surface, roll out 1 portion at a time into a 8-inch circles. Mound 1 cup of filling on half of each circle; top with 1 teaspoon butter. Carefully fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
5. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Cut several slits in top of pasties. If desired, brush with aquafaba. Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour. Serve hot or cold. Freezer tip: freeze extra dough in individual portions for easy thaw.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Paige VanSice