Vegan Dessert Recipes: Italian-Style Peach Crostata
- 3 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4-1/2 cup non-dairy milk or water
2. Place peaches, nutmeg, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until peaches begin to soften and caramelize, then remove from heat.
4. Combine flour and oil in mixing bowl (adding 1 tablespoon of oil at a time).
5. Continue mixing and kneading until a crumbly dough starts to form.
6. Add lemon juice, zest, and sugar. Mix.
7. Stir through milk or water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired crust consistency is reached (firm enough to roll into a ball but malleable enough to flatten without breaking).
8. Roll all dough into a large ball, then flatten with a rolling pin until smooth and very thin (about 1 cm. thick).
9. Place dough over pie pan, pressing into the base of the pan and trimming any excess dough from the edges.
10. Cut remaining dough into 1/2 inch-wide strips and set aside.
11. Pour peach mixture into pie pan over crust, then weave remaining crust into a lattice design over filling.
12. Pinch ends of lattice into the crust base, then place in oven.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until crust has lightly browned.
14. Allow to cool and serve!
Also by Quincy: Hearty Vegan "Meat" and Ale Pie
Related: Vegan Banoffee Pie with Coconut Whip
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas