Vegan Chicken Tortilla Soup With Jackfruit
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups jackfruit marinated in Mexican spices
- 14oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans (2 cans)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups vegan chicken broth
- Juice of one lime (2 tablespoons)
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- Avocado, cilantro and lime wedges, for topping (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add jalapeño, red pepper, and corn and continue to saute for another 4-5 minutes. If vegetables begin to stick, add a tablespoon of water.
4. Add jackfruit and use the back of a spoon to break it up until it begins to separate and give the appearance of shredded chicken. Saute for another 2 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, beans, spices, and chicken broth and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes.
6. While soup is cooking, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the sliced tortilla. Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until crispy, checking periodically to ensure they don’t burn.
7. Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. To serve, scoop soup into bowls and top with crispy tortillas, avocado, and lime wedges, if desired.
Also by Molly: Vegan Chocolate Cherry Biscotti
Related: Vegan Asian BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
Vegan Deconstructed Jackfruit Taco Bowl
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne