When it starts to get warm out, I love bringing out my chickpea salad sandwiches. In fact, chickpea salad makes a delicious (and super nutritious) vegan substitute for chicken salad. I love prepping the salad in advance and smearing it on toasted bread, in a collard green, or on salad greens for a fun lunch. My favorite new way to enjoy this vegan chicken salad is with a mixture of curry and turmeric, which gives the blend a spicy mustard kick and a beautiful golden color.
Being plant-based, I initially thought creamy recipes often involving mayonnaise were a thing of the past. However, with experimentation, I found that almond milk yogurt is an excellent alternative to all things mayonnaise and gives this “chicken salad” that yummy creamy, stick-together consistency.
I hope you enjoy this vegan chicken salad sandwich–it’s perfect for summer days, picnics, pool visits, and workweek lunches.
Vegan Chicken Salad Sandwich With Curry & Swiss Chard
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup almond milk yogurt, plain
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- toasted bread
- 1 sliced tomato
- 1 leaf swiss chard
1. With a potato masher or fork, smash the chickpeas until they take on a flaky texture.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well, adding salt and pepper to taste.
3. To serve, smash onto toasted bread and top with sliced tomato and Swiss chard.
Also by Lauren: Veggie-Filled Greek Humus Power Bowl
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier