Vegan Börek (Savory Turkish Pastry)
- 12 sheets (or more if needed) vegan phyllo dough
- 1 cup, packed fresh spinach
- 1 medium roasted sweet potato
- 1 small head roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- 1/2 tablespoon non-dairy butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Grease a baking sheet and lay 2 sheets of phyllo across vertically, then 2 more horizontally.
3. Place spinach evenly across dough, then repeat layering process with 4 more sheets of phyllo.
4. In a small dish, mash together peeled garlic and sweet potato, then spread gently onto second layer of dough.
5. Top with vegan cheese and sauerkraut.
6. Finish up the pastry by layering the remaining sheets of phyllo.
7. Lightly wet edges of pastry and fold them in slightly so that börek takes round shape around fillings.
8. Brush with butter.
9. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
10. Remove from oven, slice into quarters and serve.
Also by Quincy: Vegan Vietnamese Pan-Fried Noodles
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Quincy Malesovas