I wanted to combine my foraged finds to make a sweet and savory dinner. I turned the blueberries into a glaze and baked it over the chicken of the woods. This was so flavorful and the balsamic vinegar added the perfect amount of tartness. I used rosemary to add an even more complex flavor, or you can substitute mint as well.
Vegan Blueberry Balsamic Chicken Of The Woods
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4–5 cups chicken of the woods
- salt & pepper to taste
1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for a minute or two, until browned.
3. Add the balsamic, maple syrup, garlic powder, fresh rosemary, and blueberries and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken of the woods, salt, and pepper, and sauté for a couple of minutes.
6. Transfer the chicken of the woods to a baking pan and pour the blueberry mix over it.
7. Bake for 10–15 minutes and remove from oven. Serve warm.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote