With blueberry season upon us, I knew I needed to share this awesome oatmeal recipe I have been making recently. It is delicious and quite different than your ordinary bowl of oats…
Oatmeal, in general, is such a great way to incorporate loads of nutrient-dense foods into your diet. Smoothies are a great way, too, but sometimes I crave something warm and comforting. When I have time in the mornings, I like to open up the pantry and see what I can add to my oats to change things up and add nutritional value.
This recipe is unique because we start out sautéing banana, coconut, and blueberries in coconut oil. This will not only smell absolutely heavenly but it will create an amazing flavor profile as well. Toasting the oats with the sauté will allow the oats to absorb that naturally sweet goodness. Adding water with some nut milk and cooking on low will create a porridge-like, perfectly creamy serving of oats. We will then top it with protein-packed, nutrient-dense pumpkin seeds, some fresh blueberries and coconut and a dollop of a naturally sweetened jam. If you can’t find a natural berry jam or spread, simply heat up some blueberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a separate pot until soft and use that instead!
Blueberry Banana Coconut Oats
- 1 teaspoon Extra virgin coconut oil
- Half banana, sliced in rounds
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup Rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Berry jam
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Nut milk
1. Heat coconut oil in a sauce pan on low heat.
2. Sauté banana, 1/4 cup blueberries and 1 Tbsp of the coconut flakes for 3 minutes.
3. Add oats and saute for another 2 minutes to get oats toasty.
4. Add water and 1 Tbsp nut milk and cook for another 5 minutes until desired consistency.
5. Turn off heat and add another Tbsp of nut milk for creaminess.
6. Top with the rest of the blueberries and coconut flakes as well as the pumpkin seeds and jam. Sprinkle some cinnamon if you like!
Also by Alexa: Vegan Broccoli Parmesan (Broccoli And Cheese Bake)
Related: Slow Cooker Vegan Vanilla Oatmeal
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Alexa Pizzarello