Lately, I’ve been playing around with sprouting my own grains and seeds, and this sandwich blew my mind. So easy, so nutritious, and so yummy! I used a sprouted grain sourdough bread here, but you could also swap for a gluten-free one if necessary! Note that the prep time doesn’t include the soaking period for the lentils 🙂
Sprouted Lentil & Avocado Sandwich
- 1/2 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 TBSP Tahini
- Freshly squeezed Lemon juice, to taste
- Your choice of herbs from the garden (Rosemary, Thyme, Basil…)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1 slice Sprouted Grain Sourdough Bread
- Alfalfa sprouts (optional)
1. Before you make this, soak the lentils in just enough water to cover them overnight. You can already use the lentils the next morning, but if you’d like to let the sprouting process continue (recommended!), rinse your lentils and put them in a glass jar (without the lid on!) in the morning. Rinse them again at night, and put them back in the jar. Lentils sprout fairly quickly, so you’ll be able to see the adorable little tails growing on the second day already.
2. Now you’re ready to make the spread! Combine 3/4-1 cup of your sprouted lentils in a food processor with 1/4 of an avocado, tahini, lemon juice, herbs, salt and pepper, and pulse until well combined (I like to keep it a little chunky, so this only takes a couple of seconds!)
3. Toast your bread, and then lather on that creamy goodness and top with the remaining 1/4 avocado. For an extra bonus, top with additional sprouts (alfalfa, for example) too!
If you’d like it to be a little cheesy, adding 1/2 TBSP of Nutritional Yeast works like a charm. 🙂
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Rebecca Botello