When made properly, these pancakes will be crispy and chewy at the same time. They’re more of a savory flatbread than a typical, fluffy American pancake. You can add some red pepper flakes in with the scallions if you prefer a slight kick. You can enjoy these alone but they taste delicious served with the ginger soy sauce. These make the perfect appetizer or you can enjoy them all for yourself as a meal.
Scallion Pancakes With Ginger Soy Sauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- for the sauce:
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
1. Add the flour, salt, and water to a mixing bowl and mix until a smooth ball forms. This took me about five minutes using my hands.
2. Cover the bowl with the dough ball in it with a light towel and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
3. When the dough is ready, break it into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rectangular shape and sprinkle the chives generously over each one.
4. Roll the dough into a log, pinching it together and elongating it when you are finished. Then roll it from one end into a spiral.
5. Roll each spiral out into a pancake.
6. Heat the sesame oil over medium heat and add each pancake, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side, until they turn golden brown.
7. While the pancakes are cooking, prepare the sauce. Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl and serve.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote