I usually just eat rhubarb raw but when I do cook it, I generally mix it with sugar and make some sort of sweet treat. I wanted to try something different so I incorporated some rhubarb stalks into a savory pasta sauce. This sauce can actually be served over whatever you would like and would even go well as a spread on toast. This rhubarb sauce is rounded out by balsamic vinegar and aromatic spices and enlivened with basil.
Savory Rhubarb Pasta Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp dried basil
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the rhubarb, garlic, and onions and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add the spices and stir well to coat.
4. Stir in the balsamic, honey, and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
5. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, until the liquid reduces and the flavor infuses.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the basil.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote