Lately, we've been eating a lot of raw and gluten-free foods here at casa dumpling. In colder months I absolutely live on pasta (with a lot of fresh veggies, of course). But gluten-rich foods leave me feeling too hot during the summer. That doesn't mean I don't crave something besides cucumber noodles and zoodles. I also have to have something sweet at least once a day. :) Enter raw vegan, no bake banana bread. It doesn't have any refined sugar or gluten, and is low in grain; and I snuck in a summer squash for added nutritional value and to add body without weighing it down. It tastes like banana bread meets ice cream cake--sweet but not too sweet, with bits of dates, almonds, and chocolate chip in every bite. It slices beautifully after 3 hours in the freezer; if you want a softer texture, place the slices in the fridge for 15-30 minutes before enjoying!
Raw Vegan Recipes: No Bake Banana Bread
Recipe Type: Sweets
YIELDS 1 mini loaf
- 1 medium overripe banana
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, roughly chopped
- 8-10 dates, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp buckwheat cereal
- 2 tbsp oatmeal
- 6 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- dash sea salt
- to taste vegan dark chocolate chips
1. In a blender or food processor, blend together the banana, chopped squash, about 5 chopped dates, buckwheat, oatmeal, 6 tbsp almonds, chia seeds, vanilla extract, and sea salt until smooth. 2. Stir in the remaining date chunks and chocolate chips and/or almond slivers (I used both sparingly). Transfer to a mini loaf pan and pat down. You may decorate the top with extra chocolate chips and almond slices. 3. Put in the freezer for 3 hours. Cut into slices and tranfer to a plate, and enjoy immediately, or let defrost a little bit in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
Get more like this–sign up for our newsletter for exclusive inspirational content!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling