Pumpkin & Black Rice Salad With Zesty Orange Dressing
- 1 cup cooked wild rice or black rice
- 1/2 cup pan-fried cubed pumpkin with skin on
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raw, sliced green beans
- 1/4 cup julienned purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup pumpkin sprouts
- 1/4 cups toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup skinned, chopped fresh galangal
- 4 cloves skinned, chopped garlic
- 2 sliced in half, seeds removed Thai chili
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup GF soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemongrass root (the white part)
- 2–3 drops wild orange essential oil
Combine all ingredients in a bowl except the toasted pumpkin seed. Give it a good mix.
Combine all ingredients except essential oil in a high-speed blender and blend for about 5 minutes. If you are sensitive to specific ingredients, like garlic or lemon, add those a bit at a time until you reach the perfect flavor for you.
Add the wild orange essential oil and blend for 30 seconds on low speed.
Finally, strain the dressing through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Squeeze the ingredients in your hand to get as much of their juices as you can.
We have made more dressing than we need for this recipe, so please store the excess in a secure glass jar and use it within the week.
Plating and Serving
Combine about 1/4 cup of dressing into your salad and mix well.
Spoon the salad between 2 or 4 plates or into a serving platter.
Top with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Photo: Prashantha Lachanna