A version of this recipe previously appeared on Raw By Nature. When I first made this dish I think I made it three nights in a row because I just fell in love with it! Its fresh but a little more dense in flavour than what I usually make- meaning it is perfect for when you are seeking healthy comfort food! Say goodbye to your local Asian takeaway and head to this recipe instead!
Vegan Miso Sesame Eggplant & Coconut Millet
Recipe Type: Hearty Entrees
YIELDS 2 servings
- 5-6 small long skinny eggplants sliced finely (if you can only find the round plump ones they will work too- just cut them into cubes around 1cm by 1cm)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon miso paste
- 1-2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 cup millet
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds to garnish
1. To cook the millet, rinse it well and then place it in a saucepan with water so it is fully covered by about 1 cm. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer until all the water absorbs and the millet is cooked--it should be soft but hold its form--around 15 minutes! 2. While the millet cooks, heat the sesame oil in a saucepan. Add the eggplant and allow to cook until the eggplant begins to soften. I usually add a teaspoon or two of boiling water to help it cook and soften quickly! 3. When the eggplant is soft and cooked through, add the tamari and lemon juice and cook just long enough for the liquid to absorb a little. 4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the miso paste and parsley. Make sure everything is well combined. 5. With the millet, stir in the coconut oil and salt just before you are ready to serve. Place the millet evenly on two plates and then top with the eggplant mixture. Scatter with a little extra parsley and the sesame seeds to garnish.
Also by Kelly: Café Gratitude-Inspired Cauli, Kale & Sweet Potato Bowl
Related: Vegan North African Quinoa Couscous
Easy Chickpea & Broccoli Buddha Bowl
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kelly Alexander