Mexican Memories: Vegan Enfrijoladas (Enchiladas with Black Bean Sauce)
- ½ onion (diced)
- 2 cups diced potatoes (I used sweet potatoes)
- 2 handful of kale greens
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 2 minced garlic
- 1 ¼ cup black beans (1 can with bean water)
- 4–5 tbsp oil
- 3 big tortilla wraps
- Vegan shredded cheese
- 1 avocado (cut into slices)
- Pickled red onion (or chopped raw onion)
- Sriracha sauce (to drizzle) *optional
1. On a hot pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of oil and sauté your diced onion until charred.
2. Next sauté your sweet potatoes (I had leftover pre steamed sweet potatoes that makes it faster to cook them) and your kale greens until soft.
3. Transfer your filling onto a plate and set aside. Using the same pan, drizzle another 1 tbsp oil and sauté your chopped onions and minced garlic until fragrant.
4. In your blender, add 1 can of black beans together with its bean water, your sauteed chopped onion and garlic and blend until smooth. (you can skip sautéing your onion and garlic and directly blend them with your beans, but I just prefer the charred taste)
5. If your bean sauce is too thick, you can gradually add some vegetable stock to make it more smooth but not too runny.
6. On your pan, add 4–5 tbsp of oil to lightly fry your tortilla wraps.
7. After frying your wraps, transfer your bean sauce onto your pan with the reserved oil and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Turn off your heat and dip your tortilla wrap onto the bean sauce on both sides until it is fully covered and set on a plate.
9. Add your fillings on one side of the bean coated tortilla and fold it into half.
10. Repeat the same steps with your remaining two tortilla wraps and lay them beside each other on the plate.
11. Top with some shredded vegan cheese, avocado slices, onions (I prefer pickled onions instead of chopped raw ones), and cilantro.
12. If you want an extra spicy kick, add a drizzle of sriracha sauce for a Mexican finish!
If you enjoyed this series, read part 1 here: Mexican Memories: Vegan Chimichangas (Air Fried Burrito Instead Of Deep Fried)
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Faustino