This salad has fond memories from my childhood. My grandma used to make a big batch of it. Then, we would devour it, stuffed between slices of crusty Maltese bread.
This salad with spinach, sweetcorn, peas and olives is perfect for a quick lunch on a busy day. Or you can make it ahead for next day.
Vegan canned tun'a is widely available in health shops nowadays. Flaky, meaty, high in protein (11 grams per 100 grams), seasoned to taste like real canned tuna with an amazing texture!
There’s no need to feel bad about enjoying this Tun'a Salad. You’ll be protecting sea life. Unfortunately, tuna fish is an endangered species — a result of overfishing. Other sea animals end up being caught in the nets as well (bycatch).
Give it a try! Jump to your local health shop and ask for Vegan Canned tuna alternative and say no to the cruelty of the fishing industry!
- 140 grams Vegan Tun'a, canned
- 1 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 150 grams Spinach, frozen
- 75 grams Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30 grams Black olives, sliced
- 30 grams Green olives, sliced
- 40 grams Peas, canned
- 40 grams Sweetcorn, canned
- 2 Sun-dried cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 Nori sheet, finely chopped
- 1/2 Lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Parsley, fresh
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Fish seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Sweet paprika
- To taste Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Heat a skillet on the stove over low/medium heat.
2. Add the garlic, some sea salt and sauté in some water. Add the frozen spinach and break up with a wooden spoon. Stir and continue breaking up the larger chunks.
3. Once fully wilted, set aside to cool.
4. Drain the vegan tun’a well.
5. Combine the tun’a, spinach with garlic with the olives, cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, nori sheets, sweetcorn, peas, parsley in a medium-sized salad bowl, and gently fold together.
6. Whisk together the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, paprika, fish seasoning, sea salt and pepper.
7. Toss the dressing into the salad. Add more lemon juice if you like.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Roberta Farrugia