These seasonal, candied root vegetables are laced with the grounding flavors of rosemary and garlic, yet, at the same time, their long roast time gives them a natural sweetness that will make you forget about candy corn.
In addition to providing fiber, this dish isn't lacking in nutritional value. Beets provide betacyanin, which stimulates liver function and helps oxygenate the blood. Beets also contain vitamins A and C, folate, iron, and magnesium. Carrots and sweet potatoes are both excellent sources of beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A (which is where they get they're bright orange hue). Vitamin A support eye health and beautiful skin.
So enjoy this healthy vegan side. Candied in the spirit of Halloween, is perfect for fall!
- 3 medium-sized beets, peeled and cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 small sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch dried rosemary
2. Peel beets, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Chop, cube, and place into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add minced garlic, rosemary, salt, pine nuts, and olive oil. Mix well. Make sure all of the veggies are coated in olive oil. You may need more depending on the size of your veggies.
4. Roast on a baking sheet lined with tin foil for about 55-60 minutes, or until veggies are tender and yield to gentle pressure! Enjoy!
Also by Jacqueline: How to Unblock the Sixth Chakra and Rediscover Your Intutition
Related: Brown Rice Beet Miso Stir-Fry
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Jacqueline Quattrocchi