How can I make something that I know I will love, but my not-so-vegan family will also enjoy? I ask this question quite often….while dreaming of the day that they will all join me in vegan land 🙂 When I get to the market, I comb the produce aisles trying to find veggies that I can make kid-friendly. I then stroll down the alternative protein section thinking of textures and flavors, and, alas, perhaps a grain to provide that final element of familiarity and balance.
I recently made a tasty meal that we all enjoyed that I’m excited to share with you. This Marinated Tempeh Stir-Fry With Brown Rice is packed with protein, flavor, texture and love.
For the vegetable part of this dish, I chose to use julienned broccoli and carrots, purple and green cabbage, and shaved zucchini. I chose to prepare the vegetables this way because there aren’t any big pieces that picky eaters (uh-hum) would be offended by–meanwhile , you still get all the nutrients and crunchiness that everyone enjoys. Depending on how many there are in your family, you will need to adjust portions to accommodate everyone.
On the side for toppings, I chopped up fresh cilantro, green onions and toasted unsalted slivered almonds to add if desired. The grown-ups really enjoyed these and the kids enjoyed the almonds. I also placed a small bowl of red chili paste in case anyone wanted to kick it up a notch.
I was pleasantly surprised to see my sweet picky eaters enjoy this deliciously satisfying vegan meal. They even wanted more veggies! That’s when I did my victory dance……
Marinated Tempeh Stir-Fry With Brown Rice
- For the Tempeh:
- 1 8oz. package Tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil (can use canola, sunflower, or other mild oil)
- For the Veggies:
- 1/2 head purple cabbage
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 1-2 carrots, cut and julienned (or pre-packed shredded carrots)
- 2-3 zucchini, shaved into long strips (a peeler will do the job)
- 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- additional toppings of your choice
- 2 cups dry brown rice (any variety)
1. In a large glass storage container, mix tamari, mustard, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, water, garlic, and oil. Place the cubed tempeh in the container and make sure the marinade covers well the tempeh. Place cover on glass container (if you don’t have glass, another alternative will do), and place in refrigerator for at least one hour and up to overnight.
2. In the meantime, prepare the rice according to package instructions.
3. When ready to cook, place marinated tempeh with all extra marinade into a sauce pan and cook covered on low heat for 15 minutes. I like to get the sides a little brown for extra flavor and adjust heat accordingly. You can serve this hot or at room temperature.
4. For the veggies: Place oil in large saucepan and heat. Add all veggies in and saute on medium heat until tender, but still a little crunchy. Remove from heat and serve promptly.
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kim Becker