Between travel and big family meals, the holiday season can certainly put your diet off balance. While a short time away from your preferred way of eating isn’t anything to stress over, it can really be nice to get back to your usual healthy foods and mealtimes.
When I return home after traveling, I make a big trip to the grocery store to restock my fridge. I often go a little nuts in the produce section and bring back a veggie of every color. That said, I’m usually not in the mood for very complicated meals after traveling, so I’ll lightly cook a handful of veggies, combine them with a grain like brown rice or quinoa (technically a pseudo grain), and toss them in a bit of seasoning. The result is something yummy, filling, and healthy–just the way I like it 😉
This recipe for Vegan Green Curry Quinoa & Veggie Salad is no different. I made a big batch of quinoa and combined it with my favorite fresh veggies (and some ever-handy frozen edamame!). The green curry dressing came together in a minute and added a delicious, zesty flair to the salad. I threw in some fresh parsley at the last minute–this pungent herb is a rich source of vitamins C and K–plus several healthy-boosting minerals. I hope you enjoy this life-restoring dish as much as I did!
Vegan Green Curry Quinoa & Veggie Salad
- 2 cups quinoa (dry)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup frozen edamame
- handful grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lime wedges for serving (optional)
- extra parsley for serving (optional)
1. Boil 3 cups water in a large pot, and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until all of the cooking water is absorbed. Add cumin, stir well, and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, stirring for five minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Next, add carrots, cabbage, and edamame. Cook for another five minutes. Stir in tomatoes and remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl, combine lime juice, apple cider vinegar, green curry paste, and tamari.
4. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, cooked veggies, green curry dressing, and parsley. Stir well. Serve with fresh parsley and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Related: Quinoa and Orange Spinach Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell