Experimenting with new recipes is unpredictable. Sometimes it turns out horrible, other times you take a risk and get something beyond delicious.
Life is an endless game of trying, isn’t it? I was inspired by one of my favorite flavor combinations—strawberry and balsamic vinegar. The sweet and tart flavors of the salsa, and the buttery and creamy mashed peas, elevate the hearty grilled tofu. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Grilled tofu with Strawberry Balsamic Salsa & Mashed Peas
- 1 block (ca. 250g) tofu
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- to taste rock salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- 150 g strawberries, diced
- 100 g cherry tomato, diced
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 ts lemon zest
- 250 g frozen peas
- 2/3 cup water
- 5 tbs unsalted vegan butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbs finely chopped parsley
1. Cook the peas with water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the peas become tender. ‘
2. Then add vegan butter, mint, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, mix it well and mash it with a potato press.
3. Meanwhile the peas cook you can grill your tofu. Simply cut the cube in two halves and grill them in a pan.
For the salsa:
In a large bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar and the maple syrup with a tiny dash of salt and pepper until they combine well. Add the strawberries and cherry tomatoes, chopped basil and the zest of the lemon, stir together until every peace is coated well.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth