This recipe is a special one for me to share because it’s one that has been in my family for quite some time. My grandma made this pasta a lot when my dad was growing up and my dad made this pasta many times when I was growing up! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and there is an option for grain-free (using spiralized zucchini noodles).
This gluten-free vegan pasta is tossed with naturally sweet caramelized onions and fiber-rich cauliflower (with optional broccoli). By using gluten-free brown rice pasta or spiralized zucchini noodles, you’ll be creating a lighter, healthier pasta dish with all the flavor payoff of a more traditional Italian staple.
Gluten-Free Vegan Pasta With Cauliflower & Caramelized Onions
- 3 medium red onions, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 head broccoli (optional)
- 3-4 zucchinis, spiralized (if using instead of gluten-free pasta)
- 16 oz package brown rice pasta or other gluten-free pasta
- 1/2 red onion, diced, for sautéing zucchini noodles
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes, or less (optional)
- fresh parsley for serving (optional)
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat and add diced red onions.
2. Sauté until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the onions are cooking, steam cauliflower (and broccoli, if using) in a separate pot for about 10-15 minutes, until just fork tender.
4. Cook pasta according to package instructions (if using). If you’re planning to use zucchini noodles, add about 1/4 cup water and diced onion to a large pan.
6. Water sauté onion for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
7. Add zucchini and sauté for 5-7 minutes. The zucchini should be slightly tender, but still slightly crunchy.
8. Add chili flakes to the caramelized onions and sauté for a few minutes (if using).
9. Toss the cauliflower (and broccoli, if using) into the pot with the caramelized onions.
10. Add salt + pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
11. Add pasta or zucchini noodles and stir together.
12. Turn off heat. Top with fresh parsley to serve.
Also by Ashley: Vegan, Gluten-Free Lentil & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
Related: Creamy Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Ashley Smaldino