Sounds good? How about your favorite morning beverage to accompany it?
Hemp seeds will give you an energy boost in the morning as they are a great source of high quality protein and exceptionally rich in two essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) which is really important for vegans. Hemp seeds are also a great source of vitamin E and minerals, such as phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
To change up the flavor you can try different fruits (peaches, plums, apricots, cherries, blackberries etc), add lemon or orange zest, spices like cinnamon and cardamom, or even some cacao powder for a chocolate version.
- 35g hemp seeds
- 215g GF flour blend
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 60 ml strawberry syrup
- 80 ml almond milk
- 80 g chopped strawberries
- 2–3 slim stalks chopped rhubarb
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. I used paper and silicone muffin forms but if you are using a muffin tin, lightly grease it.
3. Wash the strawberries and rhubarb and slice them into small pieces. Reserve few strawberries for topping the muffins, remove greens tops, then slice them lenghtwise.
4. In a food processor, blend hemp seeds until turn into a fine powder (don’t blend too long because that will result in hemp seed butter). Mix well with the GF flour blend, salt and baking powder.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed banana, strawberry syrup and vanilla extract together and combine with the flour blend. Fold in the rhubarb and strawberries.
Spoon a heaping tablespoon of it into each muffin tin. Place a slice of strawberry on top of each muffin. Set in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or baked through and until lightly golden.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth