Lots of fresh dill and garlic are an absolute must for that authentic Old World flavor we are after in this cream of string bean soup.
GF Vegan Green String Bean Soup
- 0.5 kg frozen or fresh green or yellow string beans
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 cup plant-based milk
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 4 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-5 springs fresh dill
- 1 can or 1 cup fresh peeled whole tomatoes
- 1 dash pepper flakes
- salt, pepper to taste
1. Rinse the beans, discard the ends, and snap them in half or smaller pieces to your liking if you’re using fresh.
2. If desired you can steam the beans in advance.
3. Heat up a soup pot over medium low flame. Add a light drizzle of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until golden in color and soft. Add red pepper flakes to the pot and give them a good stir. Add the frozen or fresh string beans along with the veggie stock and bay leaves.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour with the plant milk and 2 tbsp of the hot vegetable stock from the bowl until there are no lumps. Add the mixture to the soup pot and bring to a simmer. Add the dill sprigs and cook together for 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir often making sure nothing sticks. Taste the soup and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from heat and discard the bay and dill sprigs. Stir in the chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, taste and adjust seasonings again.
5. Serve with lots of fresh dill, red pepper flakes and freshly cracked black pepper on top. Great served hot or cold.
Also by Imola: Vegan Nacho Soup
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth