- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 cup canned red beans
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- to taste ground black pepper, salt
- to fry the balls vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup veggie broth
1. Add the veggie broth to a sauce pan and bring it to a boil, add lentils and cook until soft. If needed add extra water. Add the beans before you turn the heat off. Set aside to chill.
2. Once cooled, add every ingredient (except for vegetable oil) to a food processor and pulse a few times until the oats are broken down into small bits. The mixture should be evenly mixed and when you take a piece in your palms and roll into a ball, it should hold its shape.
3. With a teaspoon take out portions from the mixture and with your hands, shape them into balls.
4. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed fry pan or skillet. Place the meatballs in a single layer, without overlapping or overcrowding. Fry, turning over occasionally, until the meatballs are browned on all sides. Remove the meatballs to a plate lined with paper napkins and set aside. Repeat this until there’s no mixture is left.
5. You can serve it as main dish or side. I like to eat it on top of pottages, or with salad on its own with dip.
Also by Imola: GF Vegan Green Gazpacho With Avocado & Peas
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth