Every time I live in a new country I learn something from their cuisine. In Spain it was simplicity. In Mexico it has been taste. True Mexican food from the streets of Mexico City does not exactly look beautiful, but it offers the most stimulating flavors for your palate. I combined the simplicity from Spain and the taste-focus from Mexico to make my own ideal snack while binging on my favorite Netflix shows on a rainy Sunday. These squash flower nachos dipped in vegan cheese will leave you comforted, and with plenty of free time to cuddle up on the couch.
Squash Flower Nachos to Simplify Your Lazy Sundays
- 1 Tomato
- 2 cups Squash flower
- half a cup Black olives
- 1 teaspoon Rice flour
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 2 cups Vegan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vegan butter
- as desired Blue corn tortilla chips
1. Heat pan in medium heat and add half a tablespoon of vegan butter (I used a coconut and almond based butter).
2. Add squash flowers and stir occasionally for 15 minutes or until soft (they will become significantly smaller).
3. Heat a second pan in medium heat and add half a tablespoon of butter, and a teaspoon of rice flour.
4. Mix butter and rice flour well.
5. Add a cup of almond milk to rice flour mix.
6. Add 2 cups of shredded vegan cheese and stir until consistency is like a thick sauce.
7. Add a teaspoon of black pepper to vegan cheese.
7. Place corn chips in a bowl.
8. Add the squash flowers and pour cheese over it.
9. Add a diced tomato and olives to taste.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Vanessa Uzcategui