I love bahn mis but I also love eating out of bowls. There’s just something so simple and comforting about it. So how do I circumvent this conundrum? This deconstructed bahn mi is the answer. Filled with all the fixings of my go-to bahn mi order, this bowl provides the same satisfying crunch and heartiness with less chance of baguette crumbs geting all over my shirt.
Deconstructed Vegan Bahn Mi Bowl
- 1 block medium-firm tofu
- 1 tbs. white rice vinegar
- 1 tbs. neutral oil of choice
- 1 tbs. chilli paste
- 1 tbs. garlic paste
- 1 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 small crispy baguettes (I used whole wheat but feel free to use white)
- 1 tbs. vegan butter
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots (I used one yellow and one orange)
- 1 large radish
- 4 tbs. vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbs. tahini
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 3 tbs. water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Drain tofu and press with paper towel to remove excess moisture, then cut into cubes.
2. Whisk together vinegar, oil, chilli paste, garlic paste, soy sauce and maple syrup in a mixing bowl.
3. Add tofu and stir until cubes are completely coated in the sauce.
4. Place a large pan on the stove at high heat then, once hot, add the tofu and any remaining sauce.
5. While the tofu is frying, cut your baguettes in half and butter the insides, then set aside.
6. Give your tofu a stir and lower the heat to medium, adding a splash of water if the cubes have started to stick to the pan.
7. Leave the tofu to continue frying for about 3-4 more minutes (until the sides start to crisp).
8. While you’re waiting, roughly chop the romaine and (if you have time) grate the carrots and radish, then set everything aside.
9. Once tofu is crispy, give one final stir then keep the burner on but transfer the tofu from the pan into a separate bowl.
10. Increase the heat of the pan slightly and place your baguettes one at a time butter-side down into the pan to toast (this should take about a minute).
11. Once you’ve toasted the bread, cut into cubes. If you didn’t have time to grate your carrots and radish before, you can do so now.
12. In large mixing bowl, whish together mayonnaise, tahini, lemon juice, water and salt until very smooth. (Ignore any seperation thay may occur. This is normal. Just keep whisking until it goes away).
13. Add all your veggies and stir well until they are coated with the dressing.
14. Separate your salad into four serving bowls, then top each with equal amounts of tofu and toasted bread.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Quincy Malesovas