This crunchy peanut butter granola is the perfect sweet breakfast to wake up to. Studded with nuts and seeds to add plenty of texture. Wholesome oats are coated in a sticky mix of brown sugar, butter and peanut butter before being roasted to create delicious toasty flavors. This granola creates chunky bits—perfect for snacking on—as well as wonderful crumbly bits which are the best thing on top of a bowl of oat yogurt.
Making your own granola is also a great way to customize it for your tastes. You could add coconut into the mix, or add in some dried fruit once the granola is baked and cooled. I like keeping it simple so I have just added mixed nuts and seeds. Adding nuts and seeds makes it really easy for me to get the healthy fats and omegas into my diet without really thinking about it.
Crunchy Vegan Peanut Butter Granola
- 120g Light Brown Sugar
- 50g Smooth Peanut Butter
- 50g Vegetable Oil
- 50g Vegan Butter
- 0.5 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 75g Rolled Oats
- 100g Mixed Nuts
- 100g Mixed Seeds
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the sugar, butter and oil into a saucepan and melt over a medium low heat until the butter has melted and sugar has dissolved, then stir in the peanut butter until smooth.
3. You can test if the sugar has dissolved by pulling a metal spoon over the bottom of the pan. If it feels grainy, it needs longer, if it’s smooth the sugar is ready.
4. Pour the oats, nuts and seeds into the butter and sugar.
5. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
6. Pour onto a lined baking tray and press down with the back of a spoon to flatten the granola, this will help it stick together and you will get chunky pieces.
7. Bake for 25 minutes then gently stir to ensure it colors evenly.
8. Bake for a further 20 minutes until the granola is golden and crunchy.
9. Allow to cool then transfer to an airtight container, it will keep well for one month.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Katharine Hopkins