This creamy pasta is my favorite year-round comfort food, no matter what the weather looks like outside. The spaghetti is brought to life and bursting with flavor from the zesty lemon, salty capers, and fresh parsley. This is not what you would imagine when you picture an average cream sauce. It is light and thin, and just coats the pasta, rather than drenching it.
This only takes about fifteen minutes to make with ingredients that most people typically already have on hand in their kitchens. I made this with spaghetti because that’s what I had but this can be made with any type of pasta available to you.
Creamy Lemon Caper Pasta
- 8–10oz dry spaghetti (about 2 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup creamy oat milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp parsley, chiffonaded
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Prepare pasta according to package. While pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
2. In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add the oat milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
4. Simmer for a few minutes until liquid begins to slightly thicken and reduce.
5. Strain pasta and toss in the sauce.
6. Stir in capers and parsley.
7. Season with salt and pepper, keeping in mind how salty the capers are, as to not over-do it.
*Tip*- Reserve just enough lemon zest to use for topping at the end.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Strawberry Lemon Donuts
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote