I love to make bagels from scratch so I knew this would be a fun project in the kitchen. You can play around with the filling and add whatever herbs or other diced veggies that you would like. The seasoning on the outside can also be adjusted to your preference. You could try using a cinnamon sugar blend for a sweeter version, or adding some chili flakes for a spicy kick.
- For the dough:
- 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- for the seasoning:
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp dried onion
- to taste salt & pepper to taste
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water until it begins to foam/bubble.
2. In a separate, large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Whisk in the olive oil slowly.
3. Pour the water and yeast into the flour and mix well until a dough ball forms. Cover the bowl with a cloth and slow to rise for an hour.
4. While the dough is rising, prepare the filling and seasoning. To prepare the filling, mash all of the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. To make the seasoning, mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
5. Preheat the oven to 450°F and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
6. When the dough is done rising, break it into eight equal balls. Roll each ball out into a small disk and scoop 1 1/2 tbsp of the filling into each.
7. Roll and seal each bagel bite into a ball and drop them into the boiling water. Boil for about a minute before removing with a slotted spoon and topping with the seasoning.
8. Add to a baking sheet and bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden on the outside.
Also by Lauren: African Jollof Rice
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote