Before I transitioned to a plant-based lifestyle, I used to love bacon. It was my favorite breakfast food, sandwich ingredient, snack, garnish, etc. Given enough time, I could find a way to incorporate bacon into any meal.
Fast-forward to the present day. I no longer eat bacon, but I can still appreciate the savory and slightly smokiness that is associated with it. These Coconut Bacon Bits add the perfect amount of crispy bacon-like flavor to any meal. Plus, they’re free of all of the less-than-great aspects of real bacon–including animal fat and excessive oil.
I love sprinkling these vegan coconut bacon bits on pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and soups, and I am sure you will, too.
Vegan Coconut Bacon Bits
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Combine the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, liquid smoke, and salt together in a small mixing bowl.
3. Place the coconut flakes into a large bowl. Pour the liquid mixture over the flakes and mix to combine.
4. Spread the flavored coconut flakes out on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
5. Bake coconut bacon bits for 15 minutes.
6. Let cool and crisp to room temperature before serving.
Also by Olivia: Energizing Double Chocolate Chip Vegan Truffles
Related: Vegan Cobb Salad with Tempeh Bacon
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Olivia Parr