Vegan Loaded Chili Baked Potato
- 2-4 large potatoes
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 18 oz water (or 3 water-filled tomato paste cans – hack!)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of paprika
- dash of cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Poke holes with a fork into your potatoes and bake at 400°F for 1 hour, or until soft. If you are strapped for time, you can also microwave on high for 5 minutes.
3. While waiting for potatoes to finish, start your chili. Put your textured vegetable protein (TVP) into a small bowl and add boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
4. In a pan over medium heat, add chickpeas and mushrooms with a bit of water to avoid sticking. Sauté for about 3 minutes before adding in the can of tomato paste and water. Stir well until everything is blended.
5. Once TVP is done, drain and add to your chickpea and mushroom mix. Stir well until combined – add more water if necessary for consistency. Add all spices and seasonings and give another quick stir before covering, setting to simmer, and letting cook for about 15-20 more minutes.
6. For sour cream sauce, add cashews, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and warm water to your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy – add more water if necessary for consistency.
7. Once everything is done, put together! First slice potato in half and mash up a bit. Top with your chili, drizzle with sour cream, add avocado, and garnish with scallion.
Also by Bianca: End of Summer Vegan Grilled Pizza
Related: Twice-Baked Vegan Sweet Potatoes
Oil-Free Oven-Baked Shoestring Fries
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Bianca Cimini