Shawarma is a Middle Eastern street food originally made with roasted lamb. The meat is then seasoned well and usually served inside a pita, or on a plate with hummus. Of course, no animal was harmed for this version but to keep the dish protein packed, I decided to go with cauliflower and chickpeas.
Cauliflower Shawarma With Green Tahini (GF Vegan)
- 1 head large cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 can drained chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lime juice
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 slices Vegan cheese to grill
- 2 cups plain hummus
- for serving naan bread/ GF papadum
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. In a large bowl combine the cauliflower, chickpeas, 1/4 cup olive oil, paprika powder, garlic, cumin powder, chili flakes , lime juice, sesame seeds and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat.
3. Transfer it evenly on a large baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until baked through in the inside and crispy outside.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the green tahini. Combine tahini, baby spinach, maple syrup, lemon juice, cumin seeds, salt and 1/4 cup water in a blender and blend until completely smooth. If needed, add water to thin the sauce to a drizzling consistency.
5. In a frying or grill pan, grill the vegan cheese until melted and a bit cooked through.
6. To serve, place gluten-free papadums or naan bread on a plate or bowl, top with arugula, cauliflower, chickpeas and fried vegan cheese, spread the hummus on the side and drizzle with the green tahini.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth