This salad is made up of some of my favorite fall farmers market staples — carrot, apple, and beets. Each of these have a completely different flavor, blending a mix of earthy, tangy, and sweet flavors. This results in a complex and fresh tasting salad. Because this is almost a completely raw salad, it’s packed with a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
There is something about fall that makes root vegetables so appealing. This beautiful melange of carrots, apples, and beets is naturally sweet, earthy, and evocative of autumnal colors. You can eat this salad alone by itself, served over quinoa, or added to a wrap in place of slaw. I think it would pair well with a barbecue jackfruit dish.
Carrot Apple Beet Salad
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1 cup beets, boiled, peeled, & diced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 inch ginger root, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- to taste salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup mint, shredded
1. Prepare the beets by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and adding the beets until they are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Peel and dice. Add to a large bowl.
2. Add the apple, carrot, onion, ginger, walnuts, and mint to the bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the balsamic, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, and salt and pepper.
4. Pour over salad and stir until coated.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote