A few simple ingredients and you’re on your way to one of the best traditional vegetable meals in all of Greek cooking. I find it somewhat similar to the traditional French dish ratatouille but still different. I love to serve it as a main meal but but it goes well with anything as a side dish. It's best out of the oven with a little crumbled vegan Feta on the side.
I love to make Briam because it so easy to make and super flexible. It accommodates whatever is in season and can be made with a huge variety of vegetables.
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 small sliced zucchini
- 2 large sliced potatoes
- 1 small thinly sliced sweet white onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sliced tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper, salt
- 1/2 can crushed tomatoes (or 2 large tomatoes if making at home)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small bunch fresh dill
1. Prepare your veggies by washing and slicing them. You can cut them into cubes or round circles or whatever shape you prefer.
2. On the bottom of casserole dish layer vegetables in the following order:
1/2 potato slices, 1/2 tomato slices, 1/2 garlic slices, 1/2 onion slices, 1/2 tsp salt/pepper, 1/3 basil
1/2 eggplant slices, 1/2 zucchini slices, 1/2 bell pepper slices, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 garlic slices/ 1/4 onion slices, 1/2 tsp salt/pepper, 1/3 basil
1/2 potato slices, 1/2 eggplant slices, 1/2 zucchini slices, 1/2 bell pepper slices, remaining garlic, onion, basil, tomato slices and salt /pepper
3. Drizzle generously with remaining olive oil and pour crushed tomatoes over the top and drizzle with the freshly chopped dill.
4. Bake uncovered in the over on 180°C for approximately 30 minutes or until the potatoes become soft and start to turn golden.
5. I like to user canned crushed tomatoes but if you want to make your own, peel and crush 2 large tomatoes with a fork or potato masher before you prepare your veggies. Add water/pinch of sugar, mix well to combine and set aside.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling