The salad is amazing in itself as a snack, especially in winter as it provides the necessary vitamins to support our immune system. I love to eat this salad as a side dish. And my favorite way is to mix it in with my hummus pasta (which is pasta mixed with hummus and chopped tomatoes). The pungent and sweet flavors complement each other well, the Chinese cabbage makes it crunchy.
- 1 medium pomelo
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- to taste sugar if the pomelo tastes too tart (optional)
1. Pomelo has a thick but soft peel. I prefer to discard that first, and then the pith, and scoop out the flesh in chunks with my fingers. (You want to discard the pith entirely as it tastes very bitter.) Based on your preference, you can either keep some flesh in chunks like I did or separate into smaller bites.
2. Transfer the pomelo flesh into a large salad bowl, add the the finely chopped Chinese cabbage and red onion along with the seasoning, using your hand give it a good mix.
3. Enjoy it right away, or let it rest for a while for the seasoning to do its job and make the salad tastier.
Also by Imola: Gigantes Antipasto Two Ways
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth