What is more patriotic than pie on the Forth of July? This is a dandy Yankee-doodle recipe to satisfy the raw foodie, the vegan, those with gluten allergies, and the unsuspecting omnivore alike.
Enjoy the fireworks!
Raw Vegan Coconut Cream Pie with Berry Coulis
3 c walnuts
8 dates, pitted
2 ts salt
1 can coconut cream
8-10 dates, pitted and soaked for 2 hours
1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1 ts vanilla extract
1 c shredded coconut
1 c strawberries and blueberries
2 tb maple syrup
1. In a high speed blender or food processor, combine walnuts, 8 dates, and salt. Work it until a dough is formed. Press in to a nine inch pie pan.
2. Open the coconut cream can, and poke a hole through the cream. Allow the liquid to drain out to the sink.
3. Place cream in a high speed blender or food processor with remaining dates(start with 8, add more to taste) and vanilla. Blend until smooth, then fold in shredded coconut.
4. Pour filling onto pie crust. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
5. Blend together berries and syrup. Strain. Pour over pie and dig in!
Also by Jessica Riley-Norton: Vegan Gluten Free Eggplant Lasagna
5 Steps to More Mindful Parenting
More Raw Vegan Desserts: Mini Raw Vegan Ice Cream Cakes
Photo: Jessica Riley-Norton